14 May 2007

Some food rules

My wife thinks of me as being a bit "particular" about my choice of foods. This is just a nice way of saying I'm a picky eater, which is true. My response is that I didn't get the body I have by eating some nasty vegetables. I've developed certain tastes and some rules about what you can eat and when. Part of these were because of my childhood growing up in a Puerto Rican household. You could say my parents were old school and so we normally ate home cooked meals, which were great. This kind of grew my preferences though and so let's get started.

First, just because the milk has an expiration date of, say, 15 May, doesn't mean it will suddenly get lumpy and go sour on that date. I'm not saying you can go another week, but having milk on the day or day after the expiration is fine. I've gone a bit longer than that and I haven't gotten sick although I will say there's a certain tanginess to it.

Second, ketchup does not belong on eggs...period. My wife does this all the time and I can't stand it because I think it's just seriously gross. This is tantamount to grilling up a perfectly seasoned steak and someone dumps A1 sauce on it before even trying it out. Give the damn thing a chance, you jackass!

Third, certain foods are specific to certain meals and temperatures. Breakfast is universal meaning you can eat anything on a breakfast menu any time during the day. Pizza and fried chicken shouldn't be consumed by anyone until lunch time. A steak is for dinner or some fancy lunch, but not with eggs during breakfast. While this isn't a hard and fast rule, foods that should be consumed hot should be eaten when they're hot. Soups are meant to be piping hot. That chicken and pizza? Heat that shit up--why would you eat that when it's cold--before you put it in your mouth.

I'm sure this will break most people's bubble, but the Olive Garden isn't the epitome of Italian food. It's edible, but not anything you should go out of your way to eat.

Okay, I think those are good for now, but just a couple of things to think about.

No comments: