05 May 2007

A little pissed-off potpourri

So just a couple of things to pass along that I noticed today, one which seems like a waste of time and the other that shows how we love to overreact about everything these days.

The first one is something I noticed, which aired tonight. On NBC they decided to run a special called "Barbaro: A Nation's Horse". This is obviously a pretty shitty and blatant attempt to make some money and keep people watching after coverage of the Kentucky Derby. Let me say this because it's something people have been thinking for long enough--nobody gives a shit. I didn't give a shit after the horse got hurt and I'm sure most gamblers could care less after that unless there were some prop bets on how long the horse would live. The whole coverage of his comeback and how it inspired a nation was seriously laughable. I could care less about an animal and all of the fforts made to save him. How about saving some homeless people or providing medical care to those who can't afford it? But of course those are just too mainstream these days and nobody cares much anymore. Talk about a waste of time. I'm sure anyone that maybe cared about this nag had long forgotten about the death, thought, "hey, a show about that dead horse," and then kept moving up the dial on their television. I'll tell you what the owners of Barbaro should have done--ground up that horse carcass and made some limited edition glue to sell at a premium. Now THAT'S something to get excited about.

The other thing I'm going to rant about is what I saw during my enjoyment of the Wachovia Championship today (you don't want to miss the final round because it should be awesome and I hope that piece of shit Rory Sabbatini folds like a cheap hooker that just got punched in the stomach by her pimp). There was a news break and the story mentioned dealt with the possibility of a major problem with alcohol in the major leagues in the wake of the Josh Hancock death. Now what happened was tragic, but as I understand it he was legally drunk and talking on his cell phone at the time of his death. I'm not here to argue about what happened, but rather the opportunity news agencies take by sensationalizing this type of issue by throwing something out about a possibly major problem. Here's a tip--people die from drunk driving a good bit. It's a societal problem not a sports one. This happened with the whole campus security issue after the VA Tech shootings. Let's try to remember tragedies like this happen more often than we'd like to think and yet no one seems to give a shit when it's Joe Smith who gets in an accident. Maybe we should see if there's a major alcohol problem among our super market butchers...

No comments: