18 July 2007

The British Open is here

My favorite major championship starts tomorrow and I, for one, can't wait! The British Open is being contested at Carnoustie this year, which is the site of one of the greatest choke jobs in history. The year was 1999 and I was living in Valdosta, GA. I had woken up early to watch the fourth round and JFK, Jr. of course that day decides to nosedive his plane into the Atlantic. Thankfully ESPN came through and broadcast the rest of the game, while others in American wondered why Ted Kennedy wasn't in the plane... Anyways, Jean Van de Velde has a three shot lead going into 18 and manages to sink a 6 footer for a triple bogey 7 and go into a playoff where he promptly lost. It was an incredible finish. A lot of changes have been made to a course that was derided my many players for being unreasonable. This course is still going to be difficult--it's not nicknamed Carnasty for nothing--and I can't wait to watch the world's best navigate their way around this links course. For me it's my favorite because of the kind of course it is and the concentration, skill, and imagination it requires to play well. My pick is Tiger to win his third straight. I don't think there's a better links player in the world right now. And if he doesn't have to pull out his driver much the way he did last year--and if his putting improves--then there's no way he's going to lose. Make this one lucky 13 for Mr. Woods.

No comments: