04 January 2008

This is your future, America

According to some statistics I made up, 2/3 of American adults are overweight and 1/3 of those are obese. What gives? I don't want to hear about genes and being big boned. I've got a big bone and it hasn't affected my weight one bit! What's the deal, though? It's a further example of how we're going down the toilet. At the building I work I see people ride the elevator vice taking a flight of stairs to go up one floor. And when I see these idiots it's obvious the most working out they ever do is on the toilet trying to pinch a loaf. These are the same people who I have seen stand in front of the automatic doors even if they're broken. They stand there staring at the thing and walk to the other set of doors rather than pulling open a door like the old days. They're also the same folks who would rather drive around the parking lot for hours looking for that really close spot rather than parking in one of the spots in the back. I guess they save me the trouble of having to give one of these fatties mouth-to-mouth, which is much appreciated.

These are the same people who didn't have video games or grew up with an Atari 2600 like me. But even then there was so much more shit to do outside. Playing with toy guns in the woods (which society thinks is wrong for some reason), pick up baseball/football/basketball games, the jungle gym, riding bikes, etc. Unless you want your kid to end up being forklifted out of their house when they're 30 (which is in this little girl's future), kick their ass out of the house, make some friends and go play!

No comments: