04 January 2008

BCS blows a bit this year

While normally a good idea to gather all the necessary facts before giving your opinion, I'm going to go with what I normally do and go off the little bit of information I have and reserve the right to change my mind later when I realize I might be wrong.

I'd say I was doing pretty good with my opinion of this year's BCS bowls. There were some great early games with a lot of close match ups and last-second victories. It was looking like a good day, but things seemed to go downhill after Auburn's great overtime victory over Auburn East (you may know it as Clemson). There were some great early games with the Outback and Capital One Bowls being great wins for the SEC. Of course Arkansas decides to lay a serious egg against Mizzou. Then we get to the BCS games and suddenly it was boring game after boring game. USC destroys the Illini in the Rose Bowl, Georgia dominates Hawaii in the Sugar, and West Virginia easily takes care of Oklahoma in the Fiesta. All three games were snoozers by halftime.

And then Kansas decides to actually play like someone who was worthy of being in the BCS by beating a very game Virginia Tech. I thought Mizzou belonged in the BCS ahead of the Jayhawks, but these games are about money and KU travels better. They took an early 14-point lead and VT battled back to get down by three. Some uncharacteristic special teams blunders prevented them from getting closer than three points and they lost 24-21. Let's hope I'm wrong and Monday night's BCS national title game is competitive and not the snooze fest we had last year.

No comments: