13 September 2007

Offensive? Hmmm....

First, let me say Kathy Griggin is ugly and so I apologize for fugging up this beautiful site. I hadn't heard about this story until today because I don't sit through awards shows. Kathy Griffin was accepting an award and during her speech she stated, "A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus. Suck it, Jesus. This award is my God now." Apparently people got offended by her remarks. So I found this blog on Fox News' website about how Kathy Griffin is wrong and so of course we had to get a religious education class. You know what? I don't need it. If Kathy Griffin is an atheist then she doesn't believe in God so who cares.

I don't get offended by this type of drivel. When I read comments like this by people like Kathy Griffin I just shake my head and think, "idiot." But I don't get all up in arms about it. I'm religious, but I don't go around shouting it from the rooftops. If anything, I find people who try to force religion on me offensive. We have this person at work who is always saying "Oh please help him, Lord" and "I just put my life in Jesus' hands". Uh, I'm at work not church thank you.

And while I didn't necessarily agree with Lauren Green's blog I could understand the point she was trying to make. Suddenly, though, her entry becomes about patriotism as well. Somehow Jesus provided us with the "freedoms we enjoy in this country to speak freely and to live freely." I think Native Americans helped--they didn't believe in Jesus. There are Buddhists who have helped make this country great. Branch Davidians. Muslims. Taoists. Atheists. Agnostics. Mormons. Wiccans. Hindus. Sikhs. Zoroastrians. Maybe even some Satanists for all we know.

I don't think Jesus was American but she starts talking about how Kathy Griffin couldn't pursue an entertainment career in other countries. Last time I checked there are plenty of countries with people who believe in Jesus and live in shit holes. It's amazing how Lauren Green can talk about being offended by Kathy Griffin's Jesus remark, but it's okay for her to base the history of the US on Jesus alone. Lauren Green, you offend me.

No comments: