21 June 2011

It's all about the speed!

Speed workout #2 was today and after taking my sweet time yesterday and the slow pace of my long run Sunday this was a pretty good workout although I definitely went WAY too fast considering the pace I was supposed to maintain. I think I would rather be consistent with my times although the fact I got faster with each mile was a good sign that the pace was something I was able to maintain, but I'll keep working on during my workouts. I do know I'm very much looking forward to my day off tomorrow and sleeping in until 630 before playing a round of golf! Since I went to school in Alabama I can be a little slow in reading things so it took me some time to realize why the time workouts are split up how they are. Including the day off, every other day is a timed type of workout beginning with Tuesday's speed workout, Thursday's marathon pace run, and Sunday's long run. The others are simply runs designed to build up the mileage and become adjusted to the ever-increasing distances. This week (week 3 of my training) I'm projecting somewhere around 26 miles, but by week 15, 3 weeks prior to the race, I'll rack up 51 miles so I'll definitely continue to build up that stamina necessary.

Goal: 3 miles of intervals at 10K race pace (7:45-8:00/mile)
Actual:
- Mile 1: 7:34
- Mile 2: 7:23
- Mile 3: 7:06

No comments: