21 June 2011

Monday was better than Sunday

I woke up this morning feeling sleepy, but knowing I needed to do my mileage. I wasn't to the point I didn't want to get up or my body was telling me to skip today so I went out. One of the big keys to running and training is to listen to your body and take a day off if you need it and, at 35, it's something I certainly pay more attention to than 5 years ago. It's a matter of understanding the bigger picture and remembering what the goal is. That's the same reason I stopped playing any sports that might hurt my knees or back: it interferes with golf! I was tempted to skip the day since the goal called for anything from 0 to 6, but within a few weeks there are no extra days off scheduled and I'd rather build in those miles so that as training continues and the weekly mileage increases I'm better prepared. One more workout before my day off and then my first marathon pace run--can't wait!

Goal: 0-6 miles
Actual: 3.28 miles in 27:57 (8:32/mi pace)
Weather: Clear, 74, winds NNE 5 mph

No comments: