05 June 2011

Training plan


Now that I've decided to run the PDX, I need a plan. There are a lot of programs out there, but I found one that said no runs would be longer than 16 miles. Being naturally lazy I thought this would be an excellent plan so I decided it had to be the one without even reading about it. The plan is the Hansons-Brooks Distance Project (website over on the right) and it is designed to make you ready for the last 16 miles of a race. Many traditional plans call for long runs of 20 miles, which is great, but what about the last 6 miles? The H-B plan focuses on high mileage each week by having you run 6 times per week so that by the time you have your long runs on Sunday it's about all you can do to finish. I'm definitely intrigued and so I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes. I read about the plan in Runner's World and here is the link: "New Year New You: Way of the Renegades"

First run is tomorrow with a 0-6 miler at a comfortable pace. Let's start the insanity!

No comments: