07 June 2011

Speed Workout, 3 miles of intervals at 10K pace

Today was the first of many speed workouts and I have to say it was tough. The training consists of running intervals totaling 3 miles at a 10K pace. Any distance is fine so long as you don't go above one mile and you jog a quarter mile in between each interval. Since I don't have a set pace for a 10K, I went ahead and chose an 8-minute mile pace although I've run 11 miles before at an 8:21 pace and have done 9 miles faster than that, but I'm trying to be realistic with the understanding as my mileage increases I'll need to pace myself. I'd like to try the speed workouts on a track, but since I didn't feel like constantly looking at my watch I decided to go ahead and just do 3 1-mile repeats. The third interval was definitely tougher than the first two and I could certainly feel it by the end. This will be one of the keys for helping me with my pace although I have to admit at my goal of a sub-4 hour marathon a 9-minute mile pace seems like a crawl. They key for me is to remember I'm building up to something and while it seems like I could walk a 9-minute mile pace by the time it comes to the marathon maintaining my goal pace should be easier. At least that's my hope!

Weather: 64 degrees, 4 mph winds
Mile 1: 7:54
Mile 2: 7:53
Mile 3: 7:58

No comments: