06 June 2011

3.8 miles, 30:31, 8:02/mile pace, sunny, 63 degrees, SSW winds 18 mph

First run is down and I was almost at the top of what I was supposed to do today. The H-B plan calls for 0-4 miles on the first day. I'll need to keep the distances in mind and for sure start on the low end as I start out. The first weeks are definitely meant to ease you in with a low end mileage for the week of 10 and a high of 33. I'll try to be somewhere in the middle or so, but with a trip to Chicago this weekend it might be difficult. The key is to continue on and remember the training is long and there will be some tough days. The weather was good except for the wind which was not fun on the back end of my run. But the sun was out and the mountains looked awesome. It reminds me of running in Afghanistan--spectacular views of the surrounding peaks as the sun was coming up. My biggest goal for this week is to continue getting acclimated to the altitude. We're not very high here in Vegas, but compared to the Netherlands it might as well be a mile of altitude difference instead of the 2,000 or so feet it really is. Speed work tomorrow--first time ever for that!

No comments: