15 April 2007

Marines to deploy tilt-rotor aircraft to Iraq

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/13/osprey/index.html

I came across this article today and I've gotta say it's a little scary to think this thing will be flying the "friendly" skies of Iraq. The Osprey has been beset by controversy and mechanical problems almost since it was put into production. The program was suspended after the deaths of Marines during testing and now it's been given the green light for combat operations. I'm not saying it's not going to be successful, but it would certainly give me pause.

In addition, the Air Force was recently ordered to relook its award of a multi-million dollar contract for a new search-and-rescue helicopter. The award went to Boeing's HH-47 for the CSAR-X project. There was a lot of protest from Sikorsky and Lockheed Martin after the contract was awarded. If you've ever seen an HH-47 you have to wonder why in the world the Air Force would select this hulking beast for its primary search-and-rescue aircraft. I'm not an operator, but I even I question the soundness of the decision. I don't know who will get the contract or if the HH-47 is the right choice, but if I was a PJ and was heading out to that aircraft for a rescue mission I might say a couple more prayers before getting in that flying target...

Something else while I'm on here, which I found amusing. I will say I don't have any political leanings to either the right or left. I go for the best option, which can drive my wife a little batty at times. What I can say is that politicians are the biggest bunch of ambulance chasers out there. These people don't have any personal opinions--only what their constituents believe even if it goes against their personal attitudes about a subject, which I find very amusing. None more so than this video shows. I think it's hilarious. Here's the link: http://www.bercasio.com/movies/dems-wmd-before-iraq.wmv

No comments: